Determine which visa option is best for you. We're here to help.

Contact Us Today!

Marriage-Based Green Cards

The foreign-national spouse of a U.S. citizen may get a green card to live permanently in the U.S. The Alcorn Immigration Law team can help.

To reunite families, U.S. immigration law allows U.S. citizens to sponsor immediate relatives for a green card.


Eligibility Requirements

For a foreign-national spouse to get a green card, the following conditions must be met:

  • The U.S. citizen spouse must be at least 21 years old.
  • The foreign-national spouse must establish she/he has a valid marriage.

The U.S. citizen spouse must be cautious about timing and should speak with an immigration attorney about the process.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the validity of a marriage is determined by the law in the jurisdiction where the marriage was performed—known as the “place-of-celebration” rule. A same-sex marriage is valid as long as it meets this rule. USCIS does not recognize the following as marriages, even if valid in the place of celebration:

  • Polygamous marriages
  • Marriages that violate the public policy of the couple’s state of residence, such as incestuous marriages
  • Proxy marriages, unless the marriage has been consummated
  • Marriages aimed at evading U.S. immigration laws


Application Process

The spouse of a U.S. citizen may apply for a green card from either inside or outside the United States.

If the spouse is already in the U.S. legally, the petitioner must be cautious about the timing of the filing. We recommend consulting with an immigration attorney. Once that is done, the quickest and easiest way to apply is as follows:

  • The foreign-national spouse fills out Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), while the U.S. citizen spouse fills out Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative).
  • Submit Forms I-485 and I-130 together, along with all supporting evidence, to USCIS.

If the spouse of the U.S. citizen is outside the U.S., the following steps must be taken:

  • The U.S. citizen spouse must fill out and submit Form I-130 and supporting evidence to USCIS.
  • If USCIS approves the petition, the U.S. Department of State will invite the spouse to apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
  • The spouse should pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee after receiving an immigrant visa packet from the U.S. embassy or consulate where the spouse applied and before traveling to the U.S.
  • Once the spouse is in the U.S., the spouse should submit Form I-485 along with supporting evidence to USCIS for a green card (permanent residency).


We Can Help

Figuring out immigration law can be difficult and confusing. The Alcorn Immigration Law team can help. Questions? Contact us.


Form I-485: $1,140

Form I-130: $535

Form I-864 if filed in the U.S.: $120

USCIS Immigrant Fee if coming to the U.S. from abroad: $165

Biometrics fee for applicants ages 14 to 78: $85

Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)

Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support)

Other forms may be required depending on your situation.

  1. If spouse is in the U.S., spouse fills out Form I-485, U.S. citizen fills out Form I-130; forms and evidence are submitted together.
  2. If spouse is outside the U.S., U.S. citizen files Form I-130; spouse will be contacted by U.S. Department of State to apply for visa.



Still Need Some Help?

If you need further assistance drop us a line.

In advance, please note: this email is a preliminary contact only. Please do not include any information in this email that you or someone else considers to be secret or confidential. Unsolicited emails containing secret or confidential information cannot be protected from disclosure.

Receive Email Updates!

Sophie Alcorn named Ayvid Innovations advisor
Founding Attorney Sophie Alcorn Takes on New Advisory Role

Ayvid Innovations has added founding attorney Sophie Alcorn to its cadre of advisors. The Los Altos, Calif., based firm connects entrepreneurs[...]

Latest rundown on International Entrepreneur Rule AKA Startup Visa
The Latest Rundown on the International Entrepreneur Rule, AKA the Startup Visa

Founding attorney Sophie Alcorn reviewed the International Entrepreneur Rule—or “startup visa”—and provided the latest on its status at a recent[...]

Top 10 Things Startup Founders Should Know About Immigration
The Top 10 Things Every Startup Founder Should Know About U.S. Immigration Law

U.S. immigration laws and policies are not only complex and confusing, but they are constantly changing. Here are the Top[...]

Alternatives to H-1B visas
Didn’t Win in the H-1B Lottery? Now What?

Relax. Every year the Alcorn Immigration Law team helps employers and foreign professionals devise immigration strategies that fit their needs.[...]