Determine which visa option is best for you. We're here to help.

Contact Us Today!

EB-2 Green Card for Advanced Degree Professionals

The EB-2 green card allows professionals with advanced degrees to live and work in the U.S. An employer or prospective employer must apply for an EB-2 on behalf of the professional.

Eligibility Requirements

The EB-2 candidate must have:

  • • A job offer requiring an advanced degree from a company that has operations or subsidiaries in the U.S.
  • • A U.S. master’s degree, doctorate or equivalent degree in a field that’s related to the job or a U.S. baccalaureate or equivalent degree and at least five years of work experience in the field.

Application Process

For an EB-2 visa, the U.S. employer must:

  • • Show the candidate meets the eligibility requirements, such as copies of official transcripts, certified copies of the actual degree or diploma, official documentation from a university of other institution of higher education, or letters from current or prior employers.
  • • Demonstrate that the candidate’s advanced degree relates to the position, such as a letter from the prospective employer describing the proposed job or documents describing the company and its work.
  • • Submit labor certification. Labor certification requires a U.S. employer to prove to the U.S. Department of Labor that no minimally qualified U.S. workers are available for the position sought by the foreign employee. The process is designed to ensure that the employment, wages, and working conditions of U.S. workers employed in the same field are not adversely affected.
  • • Show the U.S. employer or prospective employer has the ability to pay the offered wage.

What Happens Next?

USCIS may request more information, evidence or an interview with the EB-1C candidate. At an interview, you may be fingerprinted, photographed or asked for your signature to verify your identity or to update background and security checks. USCIS will notify you in writing of its decision.


$700 filing fee for Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker)

$1,140 filing fee for Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

$85 biometrics service fee for green card applicants ages 14 to 78

Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker)

Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

About 6 months for concurrent filing.

You intend to live permanently in the U.S.

  • Professionals with advanced degrees



Still Need Some Help?

If you need further assistance drop us a line.

In advance, please note: this email is a preliminary contact only. Please do not include any information in this email that you or someone else considers to be secret or confidential. Unsolicited emails containing secret or confidential information cannot be protected from disclosure.

Receive Email Updates!

USCIS Deems Computer Programming Not H-1B Specialty Occupation
Computer Programming Not an H-1B Specialty Occupation

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a policy memo stating that computer programming is not considered an H-1B “specialty occupation.”[...]

USCIS Crackdown on H-1B Violations
USCIS to Crackdown on H-1B Violations

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced last week new efforts to crackdown on H-1B violations and abuse. The H-1B[...]

Can I Get an H-1B as a Startup Founder?
Can I Get an H-1B as a Startup Founder?

I frequently get asked this question by aspiring entrepreneurs. The short answer is, yes. If the Alcorn Immigration Law team[...]

Revised travel ban affecting 6 Muslim-majority countries
What Should You Do in the Face of Trump’s Revised Travel Ban?

President Trump signed a new executive order reviving the travel ban. The new ban applies to individuals from the Muslim-majority[...]