Determine which visa option is best for you. We're here to help.

Contact Us Today!

EB-1B Green Card for Outstanding Professors and Researchers

The EB-1B visa provides professors and researchers an opportunity for a green card based on outstanding achievements in her or his academic field.

An employer or prospective employer must apply for an EB-1B visa on behalf of the professor or researcher. To apply for an EB-1B visa, the professor or researcher must have a permanent job or job offer. An application for a green card may be submitted along with an EB-1B if the visa bulletin shows that immigrant visa numbers are currently available.

Eligibility Requirements

The EB-1B candidate must have:

  • At least three years of teaching or research experience.
  • A job offer for one of the following:
  1. A tenured or tenure-track teaching position at a university or other educational institution.
  2. A comparable position at a university or other educational institution to conduct research.
  3. A comparable position to conduct research for a private employer that has at least three full-time researchers.

The candidate must also meet at least 2 of these 6 criteria:

  1. Has received major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement.
  2. Belongs to associations that require outstanding achievement from their members.
  3. Work or research has been written about by others in professional or major trade publications or any other major media.
  4. Has participated either on a panel or individually as a judge of the work of others within her or his field.
  5. Contributed original scientific or scholarly research in her or his field.
  6. Authored scholarly books or published articles in scholarly journals with international circulation.

Application Process

To apply for an EB-1B visa, the applicant must submit evidence of:

  • The professor’s or researcher’s experience.
  • A permanent job or job offer.
  • The EB-1B candidate meets at least 2 of the 6 criteria above.

What Happens Next?

After you file, USCIS may request more information, evidence or an interview with the individual of “extraordinary ability.” At a the biometrics appointment, you will be fingerprinted, photographed and/or asked for her or his signature to verify her or his identity or to update background and security checks. There is the possibility of an interview.  USCIS will notify the applicant in writing of its decision.


$700 filing fee for Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker)

$1,225 optional premium processing service fee Form I-907 (Request for Premium Processing Service)

$1,140 filing fee for Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

$85 biometrics service fee for green card applicants ages 14 to 78

Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker)

Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

Optional Form I-907 (Request for Premium Processing Service)

About 6 months for concurrent filing.

You intend to live permanently in the U.S.

  • Professors
  • Researchers



Still Need Some Help?

If you need further assistance drop us a line.

In advance, please note: this email is a preliminary contact only. Please do not include any information in this email that you or someone else considers to be secret or confidential. Unsolicited emails containing secret or confidential information cannot be protected from disclosure.

Receive Email Updates!

Sophie Alcorn named Ayvid Innovations advisor
Founding Attorney Sophie Alcorn Takes on New Advisory Role

Ayvid Innovations has added founding attorney Sophie Alcorn to its cadre of advisors. The Los Altos, Calif., based firm connects entrepreneurs[...]

Latest rundown on International Entrepreneur Rule AKA Startup Visa
The Latest Rundown on the International Entrepreneur Rule, AKA the Startup Visa

Founding attorney Sophie Alcorn reviewed the International Entrepreneur Rule—or “startup visa”—and provided the latest on its status at a recent[...]

Top 10 Things Startup Founders Should Know About Immigration
The Top 10 Things Every Startup Founder Should Know About U.S. Immigration Law

U.S. immigration laws and policies are not only complex and confusing, but they are constantly changing. Here are the Top[...]

Alternatives to H-1B visas
Didn’t Win in the H-1B Lottery? Now What?

Relax. Every year the Alcorn Immigration Law team helps employers and foreign professionals devise immigration strategies that fit their needs.[...]