Determine which visa option is best for you. We're here to help.

Contact Us Today!

E-3 Visa for Certain Australian Professionals

Are you an Australian citizen interested in a job in the U.S.? Alcorn Immigration Law can help.

The E-3 visa allows Australian nationals to live and work in the U.S. at a job that requires specialized theoretical or practical knowledge. An E-3 visa holder’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old are also entitled to an E-3 visa. Spouses are also eligible for a work permit.


Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for an E-3, a candidate must:

  • Be a national of Australia.
  • Have a job offer in the U.S. that qualifies as a specialty occupation.
  • Have at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.


Application Process

Australian nationals currently living in the U.S. may apply for an E-3 visa by submitting:

  • A Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • A Labor Condition Application (LCA) filed by the employer using U.S. Department of Labor Form ETA 9035.
  • A copy of academic or other credentials demonstrating qualifications for the job.  
  • A copy of the job offer and documentation showing the position requires specialized knowledge or skills and the pay is higher than the prevailing wage.
  • Proof of any necessary license or other permit required for the specialty job.

If currently living outside the U.S., USCIS will send a Notice of Action/Approval (Form I-797) to the employer after Form I-129 is approved. The employer should forward Form I-797 to the petitioner, who should then apply for a U.S. visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.


Employment Change

An E-3 visa holder must file for a new E-3 visa if she/he changes employers. The gap between the end and start of the jobs must be only 10 days or less. The applicant must go through the same application process above.


We Can Help

At Alcorn Immigration Law, we help individuals and their families find the best solution to legally come to the U.S., whether temporarily or permanently, to pursue their dreams. If you have any questions, contact us.


Form I-129 filing fee: $460

Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker)

Form I-797 (Notice of Action/Approval) if petitioner is currently living outside of the U.S.

  1. File Form I-129 to USCIS with supporting documentation.
  2. Employer files Labor Condition Application to U.S. Department of Labor.
  3. If living outside the U.S., petitioner should apply for a U.S. visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate once employer forwards Form I-797.

None. At the airport, border, or other port of entry, you will need to satisfy the U.S. government officer that you have a residence in your home country and do not intend to abandon it. You must demonstrate that you are a nonimmigrant—that your visit to the U.S. will end after a specific amount of time

Australian Citizens with Specialized Knowledge

Initial petition: 2 years

Extensions: Unlimited 2 years extensions as long as the conditions under which the visa was granted remain valid.


Still Need Some Help?

If you need further assistance drop us a line.

In advance, please note: this email is a preliminary contact only. Please do not include any information in this email that you or someone else considers to be secret or confidential. Unsolicited emails containing secret or confidential information cannot be protected from disclosure.

Receive Email Updates!

Sophie Alcorn named Ayvid Innovations advisor
Founding Attorney Sophie Alcorn Takes on New Advisory Role

Ayvid Innovations has added founding attorney Sophie Alcorn to its cadre of advisors. The Los Altos, Calif., based firm connects entrepreneurs[...]

Latest rundown on International Entrepreneur Rule AKA Startup Visa
The Latest Rundown on the International Entrepreneur Rule, AKA the Startup Visa

Founding attorney Sophie Alcorn reviewed the International Entrepreneur Rule—or “startup visa”—and provided the latest on its status at a recent[...]

Top 10 Things Startup Founders Should Know About Immigration
The Top 10 Things Every Startup Founder Should Know About U.S. Immigration Law

U.S. immigration laws and policies are not only complex and confusing, but they are constantly changing. Here are the Top[...]

Alternatives to H-1B visas
Didn’t Win in the H-1B Lottery? Now What?

Relax. Every year the Alcorn Immigration Law team helps employers and foreign professionals devise immigration strategies that fit their needs.[...]